Addiction and Mental Health
Project Nova, in Spanish, Proyecto Nova is a center for people with Addiction and Mental Health problems. It is located in the town of San Isidro de Heredia in Costa Rica.
Proyecto Nova is situated some 20 kilometres north of San José, the capital city of Costa Rica, in a rural-urban setting in the mountains of the province of Heredia. This area is on the outskirts of the Braulio Carrillo National Park, and is known for having diverse recreational activities – many people maintain country houses there for weekend getaways.
The area is a celestial Paradise with one of the best climates in the country, surrounded by abundant vegetation but very close to the capital city of San José. The site is accessed by one of the best highways, which means that were are closely connected to the best hospitals in the country.
We provide the ideal combination to help your loved one with their disease.
• An environment that facilitates reflection.
• Balanced meals formulated in our Nutrition Center by our personal Chef..
• Rooms designed for relaxation needed after a rigorous day of psychotherapeutic work.
• Excellent programs that guide patients to break their bad habits and thus achieve an enhanced reintegration process back to normal life.
• We accept patients with all types of addiction, depression/anxiety, eating disorders (anorexia, bulimia, and obesity), Dual Disorders and Post Traumatic Stress Disorder.
Our programs, atmosphere and facilities are unique in Central America and the Caribbean.
At Project Nova, we pay special attention to the needs of our patients, and their information, which is strictly safeguarded by all the professionals in the various areas that make up the institution.
Professionals specializing in the treatment of addictions.
Excellent detox and addiction programs in Costa Rica.
Privacy and confidentiality of all information.
Comprehensive and effective approach to problems of Drug and Alcohol Addiction, Depression/Anxiety, Eating Disorders (Anorexia or bulimia) and Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD).
A large number of people in our society suffer from addictions to cocaine, crack, marijuana, alcohol, heroin, tranquilizers, pathological gambling, pornography, the Internet, etc.
Also, the abuse of medication prescribed by doctors, such as sedatives, tranquilizers, stimulants, antidepressants, all having the potential to cause addiction in those that consume them, resulting in disastrous consequences for the patient and his/her environment.
Addiction by its various manifestations is difficult to treat, is progressive and without specialized professional help, the opportunities for rehabilitation are few. The quality of life for both the patient and his/her family deteriorates and many patients even die.
There has also been an increase in cases of eating disorders, whether anorexia, bulimia, or a combination of both. A true epidemic with poor prognosis and difficult to manage with psychotherapy, but nevertheless treatable with an adequate and comprehensive program.
In such conditions, denial is the first symptom, both for the person caught in addiction and the family.
For this reason, Project Nova in Costa Rica offers diagnosis and the appropriate professional advice to achieve a therapeutic intervention, eliminate the denial and take the first step: Acknowledge your disease.
Our experience in working with the addicted patient, with anorexic or bulimic patients and their families, can make a difference in breaking the cycle of these diseases.
We have qualified staff to attend to your loved one, with extensive experience in the management of these type of patients. In particular, the center has four distinguished Costa Rican psychiatrists, emphasizing the DUAL DIAGNOSIS that the patient can have.
At the end of treatment, we provide the patient, and his or her family, with a doctor summary or epicrisis, collegiate and adequately discussed, based on observation of the patient during his internment and the different neuropsychological tests and exams that were done as part of his or her stay at PROJECT NOVA.
We offer various treatment plans such as an inpatient rehabilitation program in which it is recommended that the patient join us for 12 weeks as part of a complete treatment. However, sometimes a treatment can be shorter it not usually for less than 28 days.
There is also the 30-day Ambulant Comprehensive Assessment Program that consists in developing the motivation to change, and in which the patient maintains sobriety. If this does not succeed, then the patient proceeds to internment.
When a patient is eventually discharged, after being rehabilitated with our program, the patient is given the necessary monitoring to strengthen recovery.
When patients enter PROJECT NOVA for detoxification they also receive family counseling and psychotherapy and are separated from their negative environment. Unlike other smaller and often limited programs, at PROJECT NOVA their treatment is focused and is customized by combining different approaches and programs. This not only lets you choose a treatment coherent with the progression of the disease, but also provides flexibility in planning the approach to the case.
At Project Nova, we firmly believe that the family plays a key role in the improvement of the patient, which, we take into consideration from first day a patient is admitted to our facility.
What PROJECT NOVA offers:
• Once a patient enters the program, one of our four specialists in psychiatry will evaluate the patient and then thoroughly discuss the case with colleagues, in order to arrive at a collegiate diagnosis that will shed light on which approach to proceed with the specific patient.
• Medical-psychiatric evaluation of consumption (Doping).
• A comprehensive assessment of the patient from a psychiatric and psychological point of view both in Mental Health and Addictions in general.
• Family therapy and intervention in all cases.
• Hospital or non-hospital Detoxification for either alcohol or drug addictions.
• Residential Program – 12 weeks, is the recommendation for a better prognosis. It is possible to reduce the number of days to 28 days, depending on the case, but we do not accept patients for less time (this is based on our experience that less time is not likely to cure the patient).
• Complete medical evaluation by our general practitioners at the time of internment.
• Long-Term Residential Program (more than 12 weeks).
• Private ambulance service and emergency medical care 24 hours within our facilities.
• Premium quality installations on a property of more than 10,000 square meters.
• Totally enclosed, with strict control over the staff and who enters the facilities.
• Our professionals, as well as our support administrative staff, undergo regular doping tests for drug and alcohol use.
• Ample areas to play sports, such as tennis, soccer, volley-ball and basket-ball.
• Gym with a trainer.
• Therapy Program with up to 29 sessions per week.
• Psychotherapeutic Activity from 7 a.m. to 9 p.m., including weekends.
PROFESSIONALISM / EXCELLENCE / CONFIDENTIALITY